Post by cm30 on Jul 24, 2016 16:44:56 GMT -5
So what other psychological issues do Mario villains have? Well, I may as well start out with the obvious one:
Fawful - Narcissism
You don't need to have anything resembling a psychology degree to figure this one out. Fawful is bar none, probably the narcissistic character in fiction ever created.
But if you need the checklist:
- An obvious self-focus in interpersonal exchanges - Has he ever really... thought of anyone as his equal or better after Superstar Saga? Eh, doesn't seem like it. I suspect even his relationship with Cackletta could have turned sour had the Mario Bros died, since he clearly didn't think of himself as a lackey by his boss battle.
- Problems in sustaining satisfying relationships - The only people who seemingly liked him (in universe) were either brainwashed or both insanely loyal and insanely stupid (Midbus)
- A lack of psychological awareness - He considers himself virtually perfect
- Difficulty with empathy - A running theme with Mario villains, and very clear here.
- Problems distinguishing the self from others - Does brainwashing and forcefully changing others into copies of himself count?
- Hypersensitivity to any insults or imagined insults - No, though perhaps cause he's too far gone at this point. To Fawful, everyone else on the planet/in the universe is wrong except him.
- Vulnerability to shame rather than guilt - See above. Shame would imply he could realise he's ever made a mistake.
- Haughty body language - He goes on stage like a movie star and acts like king of the planet.
- Flattery towards people who admire and affirm them (narcissistic supply) - Note him cheering on his brainwashed fans when in 'Fawful Theatre'.
- Detesting those who do not admire them - Fawful towards Mario, Luigi and Bowser.
- Using other people without considering the cost of doing so - See, brainwashing the whole Mushroom Kingdom to loyal slaves and taking the power of the Dark Star for world domination despite it's wishes to destroy reality.
- Pretending to be more important than they actually are - Really? Even most narcissists would question someone who outright mind controls people into thinking they're the most important being in the universe.
- Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating their achievements - "Fawful is ruling the world!"
- Claiming to be an "expert" at many things - Most probably
- Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people - To a far more insane degree than most. Most people don't forcefully change the world so its in their own image.
- Denial of remorse and gratitude - Yeah
Not sure what's scarier. The fact he's so clearly narcissistic, or the fact he's so ridiculously so that he breaks off the scale and doesn't even feel any of the 'drawbacks'.
But what would you say other Mario RPG villains have for psychological issues?